Swiss Mushroom Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 25 crackers)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices deli ham or thinly sliced hard salami
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg. Combine cracker crumbs and salt in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg, then roll in crumbs; set aside.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook chicken over medium heat in remaining butter for 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Top each chicken breast half with a ham slice, mushrooms and a cheese slice. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 343 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 956mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Nov 25, 2017
Giving this 5 stars... although I did not have an ovenproof skillet so ended up frying the chicken and then transferring to an oven proof pan. Really good flavor combo.
May 14, 2014
Yum! This was really tasty and easy. I used Panko bread crumbs and Jarlsberg cheese and followed the directions as written. I'm very pleased with this recipe and I will absolutely make it again!
Oct 23, 2013
This is a very simple recipe and delicious - I use a good quality imported ham. I have made it many times, and it reheats well.
Oct 3, 2013
This is an excellent recipe, thanks so much! It's also very versatile. I love this recipe just the way it is, but sometimes I change it up a bit by omitting the ham and serving it with provolone or mozzarella cheese with homemade spaghetti sauce as chicken parmesan. Sooooo good.
Jun 17, 2013
Very good, my family asks for it often and everyone asks for the recipe.
Mar 9, 2013
This is such an easy and delicious meal. My family loved it! They went on all night how good it was. I did add some garlic powder & Italian seasoning to my breading. This recipe is a keeper!
Jun 3, 2012
We enjoy this. I always put the cheese on the meat and then the ham and mushrooms and more cheese. This way it sticks to the chicken instead of sliding off!
Oct 17, 2011
I made this reciepe many times. The key is to use a good quality ham. You can substitute boneless pork chops. Any hunters out there? Yes?...this is Great with Pheasant Breast.
Apr 4, 2011
My family loves this! I now use the Foreman grill to first cook the breaded chicken. We don't miss (or need) the added fat.
Feb 14, 2011
This recipe is easy and very dellicious. Sometimes I use provalone cheese instead of the Swiss. Our daughter is a mushroom lover and this is one of her favorites.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.