Wild Mushroom Pizza
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sliced fresh wild mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs, stems removed
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil, optional
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; mix well. Combine whole wheat flour and salt; stir into yeast mixture until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Punch down dough; press onto a 12-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Prick dough several times with a fork. Bake until edges are light golden brown, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms in a single layer, in batches, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender.
- In a food processor, process half of sauteed mushrooms with cream cheese, remaining olive oil, and salt. Spread on crust. Top with remaining mushroom mixture, cheeses and thyme. Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted, 12-14 minutes. If desired, garnish with additional fresh thyme and basil.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 284 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 357mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.
Oct 23, 2019
Loved this pizza! I used a pizza dough kit. Then followed the instructions as is. I have never made pizza with cream cheese on it so this was a real exciting discovery for me. I didn't find wild mushrooms so I used Bella mushrooms. Next time I plan to add prosciutto 4 minutes before the pizza is done. I think it would compliment it very well. Thank you for this awesome recipe!
Oct 21, 2019
We love mushroom topped pizza, and this recipe did not disappoint! I used fresh pizza dough from the market and dried thyme. Fantastic! Will make this recipe again.
Oct 15, 2019
Oh. My. Goodness. How wonderful was this!!!! I made it tonite. I did have to do a couple changes to be keto compliant, the main one being the dough. (I used a keto friendly Mozzarella dough..very close to normal pizza dough. came out nice and crispy. I only had swiss cheese on hand but gruyere is a type of swiss so that wasn't much of a change. and I left out the shallot. I had fresh thyme and basil out of my garden, and both store mushrooms and some wild ones. I LOVE mushrooms..and this is my new favorite pizza!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!