Instead of topping juicy cheeseburgers with sauteed mushrooms, include some savory 'shrooms in the meat mixture for a new twist! Folks will be pleasantly surprised with these deluxe sandwiches...bite after bite.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped canned mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 slices process American cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, onion, oregano, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Top each burger with a slice of cheese. Serve on buns with lettuce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 371 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 906mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Cheeseburgers in 1997 Taste of Home Calendar
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips