Mushroom Bacon Turkey Burgers
If you ask me, a good burger needs mushrooms on top, but they tend to slide around and fall off. I decided to put mushrooms right into the patties—problem solved! —Melissa Obernesser, Utica, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms (about 4 medium)
- 3 tablespoons soft bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 4 turkey bacon strips, halved
- 4 thin slices cheddar cheese
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Additional barbecue sauce
- Dill pickle slices, optional
- Combine first six ingredients. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- Place burgers on an oiled grill rack over medium heat; grill, covered, until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-5 minutes per side. Grill bacon strips, covered, until crisp, 2-3 minutes per side. Top burgers with cheese and bacon; grill, covered, until cheese is melted, about 30 seconds.
- Serve on buns. Top with additional barbecue sauce and, if desired, pickles.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 389 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat.
Originally published as Mushroom bacon turkey burgers in Simple & Delicious April/May 2017