Southwest Turkey Burgers
I made these turkey burgers with corn, green chilies and taco spice for my parents. They originally weren't sold on an untraditional burger, but they absolutely loved them! People gobble up these burgers every time. —Katie Ring, Menasha, WI
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 6 wedges The Laughing Cow queso fresco chipotle cheese, halved
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Preheat broiler. Mix first 4 ingredients. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into six 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Cook burgers in batches, adding more oil as needed, until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-6 minutes per side. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place buns on a baking sheet, cut side up. Broil 3-4 in. from heat until toasted, about 30 seconds. Spread tops with cheese. Serve burgers in buns with lettuce, if desired.
Freeze option: Place uncooked patties on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; cover and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a large freezer container; return to freezer. To use, cook frozen patties in a nonstick skillet in 2 tsp. oil over medium-low heat until a thermometer reads 165°, 6-8 minutes per side.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 340 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 796mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 0.500 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.