Southwest Turkey Burgers
I made these turkey burgers with corn, green chilies and taco spice for my parents. They originally weren't sold on an untraditional burger, but they absolutely loved them! People gobble up these burgers every time. —Katie Ring, Menasha, WI
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 6 wedges The Laughing Cow queso fresco chipotle cheese, halved
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Preheat broiler. Mix first four ingredients. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into six 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook burgers in batches over medium heat until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-6 minutes per side. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place buns on a baking sheet, cut side up. Broil 3-4 in. from heat until toasted, about 30 seconds. Spread tops with cheese. Serve burgers in buns with lettuce, if desired.Freeze option: Place uncooked patties on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet; cover and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a large resealable plastic bag; return to freezer. To use, cook frozen patties in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-low heat until a thermometer reads 165°, 6-8 minutes per side.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 316 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 812mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Mexican Turkey Burgers in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.