Mexican-Inspired Turkey Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup salsa, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 cup torn curly endive
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup salsa, cheese, paprika, oregano, cumin, sugar, garlic powder, thyme, salt and cayenne. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into four burgers.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and remaining salsa. Place burgers on buns; top with endive, tomato and sour cream mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 312 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 599mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch.
Mar 26, 2013
A pleasant surprise! Too many turkey burgers are bland and tasteless--not these! My husband is generally skeptical of turkey burgers, but he really liked these; I'll make them again--soon! I omitted the sugar; I don't like any hint of sweetness in a burger. Otherwise I made them as written and cooked them on an indoor electric grill.
Nov 9, 2011
this is my go to recipe for turkey burgers best tasting by far
Jun 19, 2011
These are the BEST!!! Love them on the grill!!Also I throw in some fresh ciltrano..yum yum
Mar 4, 2011
So many spices and so little flavor. I broiled the burgers 2 minutes/side and they were dry and just not very good!
Jun 11, 2010
I was a little hesitant to make this because I haven't had the best luck w/turkey burgers but I was amazed at how good these were. Will make again!
May 20, 2010
This is an excellent alternative to burgers on the grill. Even my husband who cringes when I say "turkey burger" requests these!
May 16, 2010
I tried this recipe last year. I wasn't sure my family would like it, but it was a big hit. My husband wants to try the burgers on the grill this summer.
Feb 4, 2010
These are very good! I skipped the endive and instead made guacamole with cilantro and put that on one side of the burger with the sour cream salsa on the other. Toasted the bun too. Delicious!
Jan 8, 2010
this is very good! It also is low in fat and calories.
Sep 1, 2009
yum yum yum!!!!