Mexican Turkey Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours + standing
Makes1 loaf (6 servings)
- 2 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 pound fresh chorizo
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup salsa, divided
- Additional minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked Spanish rice
- Combine bread and milk in a large bowl; let stand until liquid is absorbed. Add next 14 ingredients and 1/3 cup salsa; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- On an 18x7-in. piece of heavy-duty foil, shape meat mixture into a 10x6-in. oval loaf. Lifting with foil, transfer to a 6-qt. oval slow cooker. Press ends of foil up sides of slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer reads 165°, 3-4 hours. Lifting with foil, drain fat into slow cooker before removing meat loaf to a platter; top with remaining salsa and sprinkle with cilantro. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 335 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 1109mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 15, 2018
i made the recipe as written, unfortunately no one liked it here, i had to eat most of it. i found that you couldn't taste the other ingredients, because it was to hot (spice wise)