Mexican Turkey Meat Loaf
Here's a zesty, flavorful meat loaf you can really sink your teeth into! Pair this with black beans, rice, green salad with lime vinaigrette or any of your favorite Tex-Mex sides. —Kristen Miller, Glendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours + standing
Makes1 loaf (6 servings)
- 2 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 pound fresh chorizo
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup salsa, divided
- Additional minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked Spanish rice
- Combine bread and milk in a large bowl; let stand until liquid is absorbed. Add next 14 ingredients and 1/3 cup salsa; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- On an 18x7-in. piece of heavy-duty foil, shape meat mixture into a 10x6-in. oval loaf. Lifting with foil, transfer to a 6-qt. oval slow cooker. Press ends of foil up sides of slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer reads 165°, 3-4 hours. Lifting with foil, drain fat into slow cooker before removing meat loaf to a platter; top with remaining salsa and sprinkle with cilantro. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 335 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 1109mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Nov 15, 2018
i made the recipe as written, unfortunately no one liked it here, i had to eat most of it. i found that you couldn't taste the other ingredients, because it was to hot (spice wise)