Turkey and Vegetable Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 70 min. + standing
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups crushed saltines (about 45 crackers)
- 3/4 cup ketchup, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons ground mustard, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, carrots and celery in oil until tender. In a large bowl, combine the onion mixture, cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup ketchup, parsley, egg, 2 teaspoons mustard, salt, garlic and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and remaining ketchup and mustard until smooth. Spoon over meat loaf. Bake 10-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 344 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 1158mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Feb 18, 2014
Apr 4, 2013
this is awesome, moist and very flavorful...
Mar 7, 2011
I LOVE THIS RECIPE!!It is now my favorite meatloaf ever!
Oct 29, 2010
I was surprised. My husband and I both enjoyed this. We had mashed potatoes with gravy as a side. Ony suggestion would be to double the sauce. I felt there was not enough sauce.
Jul 17, 2010
This was possibly the best meatloaf I have ever had. It was so moist and full of flavor. The family loved the extra vegetables in the texture. The topping added just a little extra flavor as well. Even my pickiest child asked for leftovers the next day, but little did she know that we had finished it off the previous evening.
Mar 30, 2010
Except for just halving every ingredient, except the egg, to make a smaller loaf it was very moist. It did dry out a bit on the ends though. Topping was tasty and a nice touch, leftovers were delicious also.
Jun 7, 2009
I love this recipe. I use it over and over. And I ALWAYS put the topping on ANY meatloaf I make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.