"Being a working mother with a small budget and little time, I make a lot of dishes using ground beef," explains Alice McCauley of Beaumont, Texas. "When our son complained about having meat loaf again, I came up with this taco-seasoned version. The whole family loves it served with sour cream and extra salsa."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 65 min. + standing
- 4 cups cooked shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable soup mix
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 pounds ground beef
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, salsa, egg, soup mix, taco seasoning and 1 cup cheese. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a 12-in. loaf. Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Originally published as Mexican Meat Loaf in Quick Cooking July/August 2003