Turkey Sausage Pizza
If pizza night is a must in your house, double this recipe and freeze one for later. —Melissa Jelinek, Apple Valley, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- With greased fingers, press dough onto a 12-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 400° until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, mushrooms and green pepper over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Spread crust with pizza sauce. Top with sausage mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted, 12-15 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Wrap and freeze cooled pizza. To use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Unwrap; bake on a pizza pan at 400° until heated through, 18-22 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 283 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 668mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Sausage Gouda Pizza in Taste of Home February/March 2013
Jul 18, 2014
Husband loved it and said this recipe is a keeper. I used the whole 16 oz pkg of sausage and it was just right for us.
Apr 27, 2013
Loved it! I used a premade pizza dough because I didn't have time for frozen dough to thaw.