Italian Turkey Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 8 slices Italian bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into four 3/4-in.-thick oval-shape patties.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill patties, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat on each side until a thermometer reaches 165° and juices run clear, 6-8 minutes.
- Place a patty on each of four slices of bread. Drizzle with spaghetti sauce; top with remaining bread.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 306 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 680mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 19, 2012
I have been using this recipe for years, but I shape the meat into meatballs and bake in the oven. Makes a great turkey meatball sub.
May 1, 2011
The burgers tasted good and I topped them with diced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese instead. But the patties seemed very wet. I did add breadcrumbs which didn't seem to help. I would make these again and cook them on either a George Foreman grill or in the oven, not an outside grill. The patties seemed to fall apart.
Apr 21, 2011
These are fantastic!! I made them on my George Foreman contact grill. I served them on garlic toast. Sadly, I didn't have any mozzarella cheese on hand to slice; I think mozzarella on top would make them even better (not that they're not great as is).
Mar 7, 2011
I'm trying to avoid breads, so I just made the patties and warmed up some canned mushrooms with the spaghetti sauce. I even used EXTRA LEAN ground turkey and the spaghetti sauce kept it moist while the seasoning gave it great flavor. I am going to make this one of my healthy staples. thanks
Oct 10, 2010
These were great! I made garlic cheese toast by broiling sandwich thins in the oven, and used them as the bread to make it a little lighter.
Apr 10, 2010
we topped our burgers with fresh mushrooms sauted with garlic powder, butter and italian seasoning.
Mar 2, 2010
I added a little bit of mozzerella cheese melted on the patties. I didn't have garlic bread so I brushed a little butter and garlic on the buns and toasted them- very yummy!
Feb 1, 2010
I used Italian seasining instead of the oregano and whole wheat buns instead of Italian bread.
May 15, 2009
These are great served on a toasted English Muffin...we LOVE em!
Jan 16, 2008
Thankyou for posting this recipe as I just bought some ground turkey to try it out!! So, now I have this recipe and one for turkey taco soup!! I am trying to get away from using red meat so much.