Turkey Burgers with Avocado Sauce
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Grill: 10 min.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Shredded lettuce and reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, optional
- Sliced tomato and red onion, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the corn, onion and peppers in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the lime juice, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder and oregano; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl and cool slightly. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into four burgers. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- For sauce, in a small bowl, mash avocado with the sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and salt. Refrigerate until serving.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- Place on buns; top each with about 1/4 cup sauce. Serve with the lettuce, cheese, tomato and onion if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 413 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 8g fiber), 37g protein.
Jun 2, 2018
The avocado sauce is what puts these over the top for us.
May 19, 2015
This was really good. My husband cringes at the mention of turkey burgers, but he really liked this one. Will make again!
May 17, 2015
These were good. Mine turned out a bit too moist. May cut back on the veggies next time. Did love the sauce.
Feb 17, 2015
I used green peppers instead of red and lemon instead of lime (as a didn't have the ingredients the directions called for) and they came out great! Love
Jan 3, 2015
The turkey was tasty even with the veges, and the sauce was outstanding! Definately make it again:)
Jul 30, 2014
This was a great first-turkey-burger pick! The sauce is a must and the turkey burgers have an awesome southwestern kick!
May 27, 2014
I'm giving this five stars because both of my picky kids are it! Great flavor!
Sep 29, 2013
My family LOVES this recipe! Instead of making burgers, though, I have turned it into a taco type recipe. Just cook all of the ingredients together in a skillet and scoop onto a tortilla. We use the avocado sauce, but no cheese. It is much quicker than having to make the burgers and chill.
May 29, 2012
These were delicious!!! I didn't even have the avocado sauce on mine and it was amazing. Exceeded my expectations.
May 15, 2012
These turkey burgers are delicious! Moist and flavorful. They turn out well on an indoor grill, too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.