Open-Faced Chicken Avocado Burgers
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes4 servings plus 1/4 cup leftover spread
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 4 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 8 slices tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a blender, combine the first eight ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Chill until serving. For burgers, in a small bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, pesto, garlic and salt. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook burgers in 2 tablespoons oil until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear, 5-7 minutes on each side . Top with cheese; cover and cook 1 minute longer.
- Meanwhile, brush bread with remaining oil; place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat until toasted, 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Spread each slice of toast with 2 tablespoons avocado spread (refrigerate remaining spread for another use). Top with arugula, a burger and sliced tomato. Sprinkle with basil and pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 723 calories, 55g fat (17g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 849mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 22, 2014
This was such a delicious variation on the typical burger! The burgers were moist and flavors were delicious. I used regular buns and serve open faced.
Mar 18, 2014
While my family really liked these (even my picky child), I think next time I'll use ground turkey and just serve on a regular bun. The flavors that go into the burgers themselves are great!!!! I'm still on the fence about the avocado sauce. Regardless, it was a great variation on burgers!!!!
Aug 11, 2013
Aug 6, 2013
I always read reviews but have never entered my own but after having these tonight I had to let you know that these were INCREDIBLE! They made a permanent spot in the cook book!
Aug 6, 2013
May 4, 2012
My whole family loved this!!! The only thing I did different was I used fat free mayo and sour cream plus I omitted the salt. Will be making this again and again!!
Dec 15, 2011
This recipe is great! All I had was ground pork, and they turned out wonderfully! I love the avocado sauce and used the leftovers for sandwiches and even as a holandaise sauce substitute on an open faced egg sandwich...soo yummy!
Jul 7, 2011
OMG! I made these last night and they were fabulous! Amazing taste!
Nov 8, 2010
My 4 and 1 year old ate these.
Aug 25, 2010
This is soooo good! It has become one of my favorites to make.