Makeover Turkey Burgers with Peach Mayo
The unique fruit and mayo combination puts this burger over the top. You can also substitute nectarines for the peaches. They're both delicious! —Charlene Chambers, Ormond Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 small peaches, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 6 multigrain hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Optional toppings: lettuce leaves and slices of peaches, red onion and tomatoes
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peaches and ginger; cook and stir until peaches are tender. Stir in 1 teaspoon teriyaki sauce; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a small bowl; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine onion, pepper, salt and remaining teriyaki sauce. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into six 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- Stir mayonnaise into peach mixture. Serve burgers on buns with peach mayo and toppings as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 burger (calculated without optional toppings): 319 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Red Onion Turkey Burger with Peach Ginger Teriyaki Relish in Taste of Home June/July 2014