Italian Turkey Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) hot Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, turkey, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon 3/4 cup turkey mixture onto each bun; sprinkle with cheeses.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 348 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 775mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 medium-fat meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Feb 25, 2015
This is delicious! I didn't deviate from the recipe.
Mar 25, 2011
These are so tasty! Yum!~ Theresa
Feb 6, 2011
Everyone really enjoyed this. Even my oh so finicky daughter.
Jan 11, 2010
Great tasting and good for yoy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.