Italian Turkey Sloppy Joes
“Everyone seems to love my take on sloppy joes. For a change, I often fix them with ground chicken instead of ground turkey and use fresh parsley and oregano.” Charlene Chambers - Ormond Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) hot Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, turkey, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon 3/4 cup turkey mixture onto each bun; sprinkle with cheeses.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 348 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 775mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 medium-fat meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Spicy Italian Sandwiches in Healthy Cooking February/March 2010
Feb 25, 2015
This is delicious! I didn't deviate from the recipe.
Mar 25, 2011
These are so tasty! Yum!~ Theresa
Feb 6, 2011
Everyone really enjoyed this. Even my oh so finicky daughter.
Jan 11, 2010
Great tasting and good for yoy.