Grilled Italian Meatball Burgers
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 15 min.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 kaiser rolls, split
- 1 cup roasted garlic Parmesan spaghetti sauce, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight burgers.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- Sprinkle burgers with cheese; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove and keep warm.
- Grill or broil rolls for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on rolls with spaghetti sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 399 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 743mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
May 6, 2018
This was a disaster. First, why not mix the shredded cheese or use sliced cheese? Wasted to sprinkle. Two, my own fault because the bottle said Roasted Garlic Parmesan cheese sauce. Unfortunately, it is white. I didn't think there was two of these but apparently spaghetti was an important word that I missed. Third, where's the pepper? What Italian doesn't use pepper in their meatballs? This was an expensive fail.Also, this website is ridiculous. Can't zoom in on my phone. Please fix.
Jun 21, 2014
The kids loved them!
Nov 12, 2013
Great recipe! Will definitely make again. It may even become a family favorite! I served it with homemade seasoned french fries.
May 30, 2011
I just found this recipe and it sure sounds good. Papa Bob, you're a real Italian. You called it gravy instead of sauce. LOL! Can't wait to give this a try.
May 28, 2011
This wasn't written just for you, I like salt. Burger is great as is, but , I added more gravey and cheese to the buns.
May 28, 2011
This is how I make my burgers except the sausage (that's what makes it salty)Next time I make burgers I'll add the sausage for a more Italian taste.
Dec 1, 2009
This is such a fun way to enjoy Italian flavors! I thought it was a bit subtle in flavor when we made it the first time, but now we find ourselves craving this excellent burger!
Jun 15, 2009
not everyone is trying to reduce their salt. leave it out then.
Jun 12, 2009
Then don't use salt.
Jun 12, 2009
Way to salty, people are trying to reduce their salt limit and th one has 743mg. ????
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.