Turkey Burritos with Fresh Fruit Salsa
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- For salsa, combine the first seven ingredients. Chill until serving.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, turmeric and cumin in oil over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the salsa, corn and black beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until much of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup turkey mixture off center on each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Serve with salsa.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 371 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 553mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 23, 2015
Took a lot of time to prepare with all the chopping, but I really liked this recipe! Neither my husband nor myself could even tell that we weren't eating ground beef. Next time, I'd like to try adding some cilantro and maybe even avocado to the fruit salsa.
Nov 11, 2014
I have cooked this recipe many, many times and it is great! I haven't ever tried the fruit salsa yet, but just the burritos are awesome. My kids and husband love it and it makes enough for leftovers.
Apr 28, 2013
Simply Awesome! A must try for your family.
Jul 25, 2011
LOVED THESE BURRITOS! I don't like fruit mixed with my meats at all, so I'm not sure why I tried this recipe, but I'm glad I did- It was delicious
Sep 7, 2009
Turkey Burritos w/Fresh Fruit Salsa is delicious! Husband and I both enjoyed it a lot.
Aug 17, 2009
I agree with previous commenter, this is excellent! You could add rice to the burrito but they were perfect as is anyway
Jul 26, 2009
these burritos were AMAZINGLY good