Tex-Mex Turkey Tacos
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 24 taco shells
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the peppers, onion, carrots and garlic in oil for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the turkey, beans, salsa, chili powder and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened. Fill each taco shell with 1/3 cup turkey mixture. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 297 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 9g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Apr 17, 2010
My kids love these and they don't even notice all of the veggies!
Feb 21, 2010
I cooked the vegetables right along with the meat, cutting down the cooking time and the extra oil. They were plenty tender by the time the meat was no longer pink.This recipe makes a lot of taco filling! They made a perfect quick leftover meal.
Jan 22, 2009
These are delicious, and they are so filling! I was skeptical of taco filling with all of the vegetables, but the filling is so flavorful that even my veggie-fearing husband loves them. :) We used a spicier salsa for extra flavor. Delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.