Turkey Taco Macaroni
This is a nice little twist on a classic dish. If you love cheese, feel free to add more, and green peppers are a great taste if you want some vegetables.—Barb Kondolf, Hamlin, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours + standing
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add pasta; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until pasta is toasted. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey and onion; cook 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles.
- Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in tomato sauce, water, salsa and taco seasoning. Cook, covered, 3-4 hours or until pasta is tender.
- Remove insert; top with cheese. Let stand, covered, 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 402 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 1063mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Taco Macaroni in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.