Southwest Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 pounds extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 18 Bibb or iceberg lettuce leaves
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: Sour cream, salsa and guacamole
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble turkey with onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in seasonings and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 10 minutes. Serve in lettuce with cheese and toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts3 filled lettuce wraps (calculated without optional toppings): 251 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 806mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 43g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
May 2, 2016
I made this a couple weeks ago, easy to make and my husband and I both really enjoyed this dish! It's a keeper!
Mar 10, 2015
Fantastic!! I fixed the meat mixture the night before and just heated it when we were ready to eat. Served it on red leaf lettuce, with sour cream, salsa, and cheddar cheese, then steamed some veggies for a side. Big hit here!
Feb 24, 2015
Easy to make and tasty to eat. I will be adding this recipe to my kitchen keeper list.