Deli Turkey Lettuce Wraps
I used to make these during my training days when I worked at a restaurant in Hawaii. They're low-fat, low-carb, high-protein, quick and delicious—a great choice before or after a workout. —Duncan Omarzu, Astoria, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces sliced deli turkey, coarsely chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add turkey; heat through. Stir in tomatoes and vinegar just until combined.
- Serve in lettuce leaves. Top with avocado, cheese and if desired, sprouts.
Nutrition Facts3 lettuce wraps: 270 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 799mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as turkey lettuce wrap in Simple & Delicious April/May 2019