Tex-Mex Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a large stockpot, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the next 11 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with cheese and tortilla chips.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 110 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 12 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 12, 2015
FANTASTIC! Made this yesterday as its getting cold in Upstate NY! Followed the recipe exactly with only one change, rather than ground meat, used sliced fully cooked Polish Turkey sausage as I had it on hand. This soup is so easy and versatile, as you can add what ever veggies you like. This is a keeper in my recipe box & look forward to making it over & over!Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipe with us all.
Nov 4, 2014
Fixed it for a church fellowship soup and sandwich meal. Was a total hit! I'm gonna fix it again soon, and freeze in individual servings. Quick cold winter night supper....
Mar 14, 2014
This is a staple in our house, easy to make in 30-40 minutes with ingredients we always have at home. I use frozen chicken strips and add fresh mushrooms...... Delicious!!!
Oct 25, 2013
Made this for the second time tonight. So delicious. Doubled the broth because It needed more so added more spices as well. Served with avocado and olives for garnish as well as chips and cheese. Family absolutely loved it!
Dec 31, 2011
This was very easy to prepare using common ingridients. I used a store bought roasted chicken to cut down on prep time. I added tortilla chips, cheese, and avacado as toppings. My family ate the whole pot in one sitting.
Jul 1, 2010
Tasted great and easy to make.