Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) reduced-fat condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 cups (about 7-1/2 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- Shredded cheddar cheese, reduced-fat sour cream, cubed avocado, chopped cilantro, and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine first five ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 3-4 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Cool slightly; shred chicken with two forks. Return meat to slow cooker. Add corn and rice; cook, covered, on low 1 hour longer.
- If desired, serve with cheese, sour cream, avocado and olives.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 254 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 757mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 23, 2019
I was very excited to try this recipe as it looked delicious. I made it and was VERY disappointed. Not only did it not look anything like the picture, it was bland and not very appealing to the eye. Won’t be trying this one again.