Tex-Mex Chicken with Black Beans & Rice
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 6 chicken leg quarters, skin removed
- 1 envelope taco seasoning, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- Minced fresh cilantro
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 tablespoon taco seasoning; transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, soup, onion, chilies and remaining taco seasoning; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until chicken is 165° and tender.
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Stir in beans; heat through.
- Remove chicken from cooking juices; stir sour cream into cooking juices. Serve chicken with rice mixture and sauce. Sprinkle servings with cheese, tortilla chips and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 590 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 1461mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 14, 2019
This recipe is excellent!! (I also used boneless skinless chicken breast. I shred the meat, return it back to the cooking liquid and serve it over brown rice or quinoa. Top with shredded cheese, jalapenos, lettuce, etc...delish!!)
Aug 1, 2016
This was good, but next time I will definitely add some jalapeno or something to kick up the heat. I thought this would be spicy, but was disappointed. I actually used meat from the drumstick instead of leg quarters thrown in whole. I also added the black beans to the chicken mixture instead of the rice. It just made more sense that way.
Oct 19, 2015
This is phenomenal! I modify it just a bit and use chicken breasts, as we prefer white meat. And, I double the soups so it makes extra sauce and I add the black beans into the cooker. It's become 1 of my husband's favorite dishes and makes great leftovers!
Nov 5, 2014
This was good. I thought it would be spicier but it t was quite mild, especially considering I used Rotel. Sauce was thin even after adding sour cream. I was expecting something a bit thicker. Was that the case for everyone? Next time I may add more spice and cook down the sauce to a thicker consistency.
Mar 26, 2012
It was spicy and had a lot of flavor. I didn't use the chips and I used two cans of Rotel for tomatoes. I will be making this one again.
Mar 26, 2012
The chicken was tender & juicy and the dish was spicy and flavorful. I actually cooked canned pinto and kidney beans with the chicken and it turned out wonderful.
Mar 22, 2012
This was so good to come home to after a long day of work and running the kids around, needless to say it was all gone no leftovers.
Mar 16, 2012
This was wonderful. I didn't even use the sour cream or cilantro and my sweetie said it was awsome!
Dec 8, 2011
I would like to make this...but, I don't have a slow cooker
Apr 22, 2011
I could not find "Mexican diced tomatoes" so I used Red Gold diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers. I used skinless, boneless chicken breasts instead of the leg quarters and added the minced fresh cilantro and juice from 1/2 fresh lime to the rice. It was spicy but both my hysband and I liked it.