Southwest Turkey Patties with Beans
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick oval patties.
- In a small saucepan, heat beans and tomatoes over medium heat, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro. Keep warm.
- Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-5 in. from heat until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-5 minutes per side. Serve with rice and bean mixture.
Freeze option: Place patties on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet; wrap and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a large resealable plastic bag; return to freezer. To use, grill or broil frozen patties as directed, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer to read 165°.
Health tip: This recipe is a great example of how to get more veggies and boost fiber in everyday recipes. It uses less turkey per serving than usual and includes a topping of protein- and fiber-rich black beans plus tomatoes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 356 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 693mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 15, 2019
This was very tasty and quick. Followed the recipe as written, but substituted reduced-sodium tomatoes and no salt black beans because of dietary restrictions. I will be making this recipe again.