Spicy Beans with Turkey Sausage
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 pound smoked turkey sausage, halved and sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until heated through. Stir before serving. Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 350 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 1412mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 12g fiber), 26g protein.
Jun 20, 2015
Easy and delicious.
Aug 6, 2014
This recipe is quick to prepare for crockpot. Great taste but not spicy. I did use medium salsa as written and 3/4 cup of water. I will try 2 cups of salsa next time.
Feb 16, 2014
the taste was just OK. It was very easy to make
Sep 5, 2013
I think it needed a little more spice. Tasteful and low cal.
Mar 1, 2013
I would make this again. But I would bake it in a pumpkin. Clean it out and oil the outside with oil rmember to put the top back
Feb 13, 2013
Absolutely loved this super simple recipe!!! I did tweak for personal preference. I added an additional 1/2 tsp cumin and used chili beans instead of kidney beans!! I also made it on the stove but will definitely try crock pot I just didn't wanna wait. Will probably need to double recipe next time. Yummy
Jul 2, 2012
Great comfort food recipe, bonus points for also being a crock pot recipe. Perfect for a weeknight family dinner. I made a minor substitution using pinto beans instead of northern because I had one not the other. I opted for mild salsa since I'm not into "spicy" food. However, for those who like more heat, you can adjust accordingly. Left overs the next day were just as tasty as round one. Easy, tasty and filling! Definitely adding it to my menu rotation.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.