Sausage with Jalapeno Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 3 pounds potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 jalapeno peppers, sliced and seeded
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, halved and cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 medium sweet yellow or orange peppers, halved and cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links (4 ounces each)
- Chopped fresh basil, optional
- Place the first seven ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker; toss to combine. Top with sweet peppers and onion.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown sausages on all sides; place over vegetables. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours.
- Remove sausages; cut diagonally into 2- to 3-in. pieces. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon; serve with sausage. If desired, sprinkle with basil.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 518 calories, 29g fat (11g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 948mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 16g protein.
Jul 17, 2016
This was an okay recipe. I will make it again because of the ease, but it needs some punch. I thought the jalapeno would give it flavor, but it didn't. I also think the cook time in the slow cooker should be increased to 8 hours. Although the potatoes were cubed identically, some needed more cooking time. I'm thinking of increasing the salt and pepper to an 1/2 teaspoon and adding some additional spices, but not certain as to what they will be. Looking forward to reading other cooks recommendations for this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.