Sausage with Jalapeno Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 3 pounds potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 jalapeno peppers, sliced and seeded
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, halved and cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 medium sweet yellow or orange peppers, halved and cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- Chopped fresh basil, optional
- Place the first seven ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker; toss to combine. Top with sweet peppers and onion.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown sausages on all sides; place over vegetables. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours.
- Remove sausages; cut diagonally into 2- to 3-in. pieces. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon; serve with sausage. If desired, sprinkle with basil.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 518 calories, 29g fat (11g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 948mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 16g protein.
Jul 17, 2016
This was an okay recipe. I will make it again because of the ease, but it needs some punch. I thought the jalapeno would give it flavor, but it didn't. I also think the cook time in the slow cooker should be increased to 8 hours. Although the potatoes were cubed identically, some needed more cooking time. I'm thinking of increasing the salt and pepper to an 1/2 teaspoon and adding some additional spices, but not certain as to what they will be. Looking forward to reading other cooks recommendations for this recipe.