Lima Beans with Pork Sausage
This is a delicious dish to bring to a pot-luck or church supper. It it is so easy to put together and you will be returning home with an empty dish.—Ruby Wood, Sugar Land, Texas
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + standing Cook: 50 min.
- 1 pound dried lima beans
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a Dutch oven, bring beans, water and salt to a boil. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour (or soak beans overnight). Do not drain. Bring beans to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, shape sausage into 3/4-in. balls; brown in a large skillet or until a thermometer reads 160°. Drain fat. Stir in the tomato juice, chili powder, pepper and basil.
- Drain beans; add sausage mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 255 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 531mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 10g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Lima Beans with Pork Sausage in Reminisce Extra April 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.