Hot Dogs with Chili Beans
This was a recipe my mom used often when I was growing up. These hot dogs were a favorite summertime meal with potato salad and chips.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onions, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 hot dogs, heated
- 12 hot dog buns, split
- Shredded Colby or cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef, garlic and 1/2 cup onion over medium heat, until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, water, chili powder, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Place hot dogs in buns. Top each with 1/4 cup chili bean mixture. Serve with cheese and remaining onion.
Originally published as Hot Dogs with Chili Beans in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips