Grilled Cheese and Mushroom Sandwich
Give your favorite grilled cheese sandwich a boost with the addition of earthy portobello mushrooms. This savory recipe takes this portobello mushroom sandwich into gourmet territory. —Josh Rink, Taste of Home Food Stylist
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps, gills removed and sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded Manchego or Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white Kerrygold cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and two tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Fry mushrooms in a single layer until golden and beginning to crisp, turning half way through, about 10-12 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove mushrooms; wipe out skillet.
- Spread 3 tablespoons butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place bread, butter side down, in same skillet over medium-low heat; toast until golden brown, 2-3 minutes; remove. In a small bowl, combine cheddar, Monterey Jack and Gruyere. In another bowl, mix together remaining 3 tablespoons butter, mayonnaise, Manchego cheese and onion powder.
- To assemble sandwiches, top toasted side of 4 bread slices with mushrooms; sprinkle with fresh thyme; add sliced brie. Sprinkle cheddar cheese mixture evenly over brie. Top with remaining bread slices, toasted side facing inwards. Spread the butter-mayonnaise mixture on the outsides of each sandwich. Place in same skillet and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, 5-6 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 797 calories, 62g fat (31g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 1143mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Aug 12, 2019
Yum! Versatile as you can use any cheese that you have available and it will still be delicious.
Sep 27, 2018
I love mushrooms and when i saw this it was on the top of my make now pile - love this recipe and so easy and so delicious