Mushroom & Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 8 ounces sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 8 thin slices cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 8 slices Texas toast
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan. Wipe skillet clean.
- Place one slice cheese on each of four bread slices. Top with mushroom mixture, bacon and the remaining cheese and bread. Lightly spread outsides of sandwiches with remaining butter.
- In same skillet, toast sandwiches in batches over medium heat 45-60 seconds on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 406 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 9, 2019
Just made these for lunch! Super delicious! I had just made everyone bacon for breakfast, so made these sandwiches without it. As someone who really prefers veggies over anything, these were perfect for me! I did add a sprinkling of kosher salt to the mushroom mixture, since I eliminated the bacon which would have added enough saltiness. Next time I'll try them with bacon. Can't say enough about these sandwiches, except to say that I'll definitely be making them again and again!
Dec 9, 2018
I made this without the bacon for the fact that i don't eat pork, but let me tell you this was so simple, quick, and easy to make. I used baby bella mushrooms, shredded some cheddar cheese and it was so delicious. I'll definitely be making this the next couple days straight.
Mar 27, 2017
These sandwiches have a great flavor. I used the cast iron skillet I fried my bacon in (after removing most of the grease) to grill my sandwiches. This made the bacon taste stand out even more. I think any type of mushroom will work for this recipe. I had canned mushrooms on hand to use for my sandwiches.
Mar 20, 2016
Delicious! The mushrooms and bacon make this very flavorful