Grilled Cheese and Pickled Onion Sandwich
If you’re looking to add a little bite to your classic grilled cheese recipe, look no further than pickled onions. We love sandwiching a few inside this sandwich for a touch of acidity and some foodie flair. —Josh Rink, Taste of Home Food Stylist
Total TimePrep Time: 12 minutes, Cook Time:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded Manchego or Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup pickled pearl onions, halved
- Spread 3 tablespoons butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place bread, butter side down, in a large skillet or electric griddle over medium-low heat until golden brown, 2-3 minutes; remove. In a small bowl, combine cheddar, Monterey Jack and Gruyere. In another bowl, mix together remaining 3 tablespoons butter, mayonnaise, Manchego cheese and onion powder.
- To assemble sandwiches, top toasted side of 4 bread slices with sliced brie. Sprinkle cheddar cheese mixture evenly over brie; add pickled onions. Top with remaining bread slices, toasted side facing inwards. Spread the butter-mayonnaise mixture on the outsides of each sandwich. Place in same skillet and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, 5-6 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 668 calories, 49g fat (27g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 1122mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as The Best Ever Grilled Cheese Sandwich in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.