Steak Sandwiches with Quick-Pickled Vegetables
This recipe is a Cambodian version of the classic Vietnamese dish banh mi. This sandwich has acidity from the pickled vegetables, freshness from the cucumber, spiciness from the sriracha mayo, and sweetness from the marinated beef. —Hudson Stiver, Bowen Island, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Cook: 15 min. + standing
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced fresh carrots
- 1 small daikon radish, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 French bread baguette (10-1/2 ounces), halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk white vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add carrots and radish. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, combine brown sugar, rice vinegar and soy sauce. Add beef and turn to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour, turning once. Drain beef, discarding marinade.
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook steak until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), 7-10 minutes on each side. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, place baguette on an ungreased baking sheet, cut sides up. Broil 3-4 in. from heat until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Drain carrots and radish, reserving 1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar marinade. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce and reserved vinegar marinade; spread half over cut sides of baguette. Top with steak, cucumber, pickled vegetables and cilantro; replace top. Cut crosswise into 6 slices. Serve with remaining mayonnaise mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 430 calories, 20g fat (4g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 888mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.