Italian Steak Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound sliced deli roast beef
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine or additional beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 sandwich rolls, split
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook and stir 1 minute. Add roast beef, broth, wine and seasonings; heat through. Place beef slices on rolls; drizzle with broth mixture. Top with cheese. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 440 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 1261mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 9, 2018
Delicious! The only thing I would change is to put the open sandwich under the broiler for about30 seconds.
Mar 10, 2018
Absolutely delicious sandwich. The sauce is really great. I made two sandwiches and used the rest of the sauce for dipping. Fabulous.
Feb 9, 2018
What makes the sodium level so high?
Sep 19, 2017
My husband LOOOOOVED this. He told me I had to make this again. I personally thought the spices could be a little lowered, especially the salt, but I still enjoyed it a lot as well. Super easy. I didn't have quite 1/2 lb of deli roast beef (I used Oscar Mayer's Natural Slow Roasted Roast Beef) so there was enough "juice" for us to dip in. I'd definitely recommend.Update: I made this again recently and slightly lowered the herbs and salt. I think it tasted a LOT better that way. I also tried swiss this time instead of provolone and it tasted good too!
Oct 26, 2011
So easy... next time I'll go heavy on the broth and wine and use as a dipping sauce!
Feb 14, 2010
This was an instant family fave!!!
Jan 10, 2010
My family requests these sandwiches--easy to make, simple and delicious!
Sep 21, 2008
These sandwiches are SO easy to make and take no time at all to fix! The best thing is they taste great!