These tender steaks make a quick and flavorful entree. Kids will love the pizza-sauce topping, and you’ll love that they’re getting a nutritious supper. Mary Hankins - Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cut steak into four pieces; dip each piece in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook steaks in oil over medium-high heat for 2-4 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Meanwhile, heat sauce in a small saucepan. Spoon over steaks; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 264 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 435mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Italian Steaks in Simple & Delicious March/April 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.