Italian Grilled Steak Sandwich
If you need to feed a hungry crowd you can't go wrong with steak sandwiches. They're easy to make and rich with the flavors of Italy. —Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1 round loaf Italian bread (about 2 pounds), unsliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Greek olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoni
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing, divided
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- Place first 4 ingredients in a large bowl or shallow dish. Add steak and turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove steak, discarding marinade. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°), 6-8 minutes per side. Cool completely.
- Cut bread loaf horizontally in half. Hollow out both halves, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (save removed bread for another use). Cut steak across the grain into thin slices. In a bowl, toss tomatoes with green onions, olives, pepperoni, basil and 2 tablespoons dressing. In another bowl, toss arugula with remaining dressing.
- Place half the arugula in bread bottom. Layer with steak, tomato mixture and remaining arugula; replace top. Wrap in foil; refrigerate at least 1 hour. Cut into wedges to serve.