Hearty Italian Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 large green peppers, sliced
- 2 large sweet red peppers, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 sandwich rolls, split and toasted
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place a third of the onions and peppers in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining vegetables. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until vegetables are tender. With a slotted spoon, serve about 1 cup of meat and vegetables on each roll. Top with cheese if desired. Use pan juices for dipping if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 587 calories, 30g fat (10g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 1251mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 9, 2017
Not very flavorful at all.
Sep 19, 2012
With the great reviews I was expecting more. This was bland. Horribly bland. My husband smothered his in BBQ sauce. What a waste of expensive ingredients. I'll probably drain the liquid off, add spaghetti sauce and have it over pasta just so I don't have to throw it away.
Jul 30, 2012
made this recipe for a b-day party everyone loved it....
Dec 4, 2011
My whole family loves these sandwiches and it is a great recipe to double and then freeze to use later.
May 3, 2011
My husband loved this! When we ran out of buns, we just put it over rice or pasta.