Hearty Sausage Sandwich
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the cream cheese, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, water and oregano. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Cut bread in half horizontally; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (save removed bread for another use).
- Place bread bottom on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese; top with sausage mixture and remaining cheese. Replace bread top. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 562 calories, 31g fat (16g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 1093mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 17, 2019
I've been making this for years! The entire family loves it, as does the church bunch! I've used sliced French bread or sourdough as well. We love to dip them in spaghetti sauce, too.
Mar 22, 2014
Made this for Family Fun Night last night. It was quick and easy and the whole family loved it. We'll definitely use this one again!
Mar 18, 2014
Made this the other day and the family declared it a keeper!! It was pretty simple and tasted delicious. I did use turkey Italian sausage and reduced fat cream cheese and it still tasted amazing!!!
Jan 31, 2013
My husband and I both thought this was awful. The cream cheese and sausage was not a good combination. If you do decide to make it, I would suggest cutting off the top third of the bread so you end up with more of a bowl to hold the filling.
Jan 11, 2013
All I have to say is OMGosh... Delicious. I added a little red pepper to mine as well but did follow this recipe to the T... I will be making this again and again.. Thank you soooo much... Yummo!
Nov 12, 2012
This was amazing! I used low fat cream cheese and sliced mozerella just on the bottom layer. My husband begged me to print the recipe and keep it as one of my regulars. And even all 4 of my kids liked it!! Unbelieveably good!
Nov 5, 2012
This has been a go to recipe in my home for a few years now. Nope, not the most healthy but very satisfying.
Feb 25, 2011
It was good but I think it has too much cream cheese. Next time I will use more mozzarella and less of the cream cheese
Dec 2, 2010
My whole family loved this. My 8 year-old grandson has requested it at least twice since I made it (about 2 weeks ago).
Nov 2, 2010
I made this for a party and everyone LOVED it! The bread easily sliced up into 15+ pieces for sharing, although it's a little messy so it's not the best finger food! The flavor was delicious and it's so budget friendly!