Homemade Italian Sausage Sandwiches
Perfect for the summer grilling season, this flavorful and hearty Italian sausage sandwich will be a picnic favorite for sure! —Mariela Petroski, Helena, Montana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links (4 ounces each)
- 1 bottle (14.9 ounces) dark beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 cups julienned green peppers
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 brat buns, split
- 6 slices provolone cheese, halved
- Place sausages in a large saucepan; add beer. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute green peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Drain and discard beer. Grill sausages, covered, over direct medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Serve on buns with green pepper mixture and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 555 calories, 32g fat (12g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1469mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious July/August 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.