Italian Venison Sandwiches
"The slow cooker makes easy work of these hearty venison sandwiches," assures Andrew Henson, an avid hunter and cook from Morrison, Illinois. "The meat always comes out tender and tasty."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless venison roast (3 to 4 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 10 to 12 sandwich rolls, split
- Green pepper rings, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Add venison and stir. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender. Using a slotted spoon, spoon into rolls. Top with pepper rings if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 319 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 680mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Italian Venison Sandwiches in Taste of Home October/November 2000
Aug 23, 2010
We have made this recipe several times and love it. We do use beefy Onion soup mix instead of the bouillon and Onion soup mix. This is very good and would be excellent with beef too.