Best Italian Sausage Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 jars (24 ounces each) pasta sauce
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 2 packages (20 ounces each) Italian turkey sausage links
- 10 hoagie buns, split
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Grill sausages according to package directions. Serve on buns with sauce. Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 454 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1716mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
May 31, 2017
We prefer our sausage tender, so I browned them, then simmered them in the sauce all afternoon. VERY GOOD!
Jan 28, 2017
Amazing!!! I substituted the turkey sausage for pork Italian sausage and the family was very happy.
Sep 6, 2014
Although these look delish in photo,total carbs seem too much. Sodium count waayyy too high.
Jul 29, 2013
Neither my husband and I cared for the turkey sausage links; they just didn't have the right texture or flavor as pork sausage, so made again with sausage we liked. Was a great dish to come home to.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.