Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches
—Mike Yaeger, Brookings, South Dakota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 4 large green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 20 uncooked Italian sausage links
- 20 sandwich buns
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute peppers and onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil, salt and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, grill sausages, covered, over medium heat for 10-16 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°, turning occasionally. Serve on buns with sauce and cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 525 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1327mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Sandwiches in TOH Tailgate Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.