Hearty Ham Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 cup coarsely crushed saltines (about 25 crackers)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground ham
- 1 pound ground pork
- BASTING SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2-1/2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the crackers, milk, eggs and pepper. Crumble ham and pork over mixture and mix well. Press into a 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Baste loaf occasionally after first 20 minutes of baking.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 301 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 20g protein.
Jan 10, 2016
Have made it 4 or 5 times, gets better each time! Delicious
Jan 4, 2014
A good alternative to usual meat loaf - nice hammy taste. Don't neglect the basting sauce as it adds a lot a flavor. The loaf would be rather flat without it.
Nov 30, 2011
A lovely variation on the other meat loaf! I have made this as meat balls also and served with navy bean soup and cornbread!
Jan 31, 2010
Delicious! I really like the basting sauce.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.