Zesty Italian Beef Sandwiches
It’s so easy to build a zesty sandwich when you pile on the shredded beef, pickles and smoked provolone. Can’t find smoked provolone? I use regular, too. —Crystal Schlueter, Babbitt, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon horseradish mustard or spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 6 Italian rolls, split
- 6 thin slices red onion
- 18 sweet pickle slices
- 6 slices smoked provolone cheese
- Place roast in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix soup, vinegar, soy sauce and brown sugar; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, mustard and chili sauce; spread on roll bottoms. Layer with onion, pickles, shredded beef and cheese. Replace tops.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 724 calories, 44g fat (15g saturated fat), 166mg cholesterol, 1266mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 54g protein.
Originally published as Zesty Shredded Beef Sandwiches in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2015