Best Italian Beef Sandwiches
I love having friends over for a "winter picnic" each year, and these sandwiches are really a hit with potato salad and baked beans. The beef freezes well, which makes it handy to have on hand for last-minute meals.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 7 to 8 hot banana peppers, seeded and sliced
- Hard rolls
- In a deep baking pan, place roast and 1 in. of water. Sprinkle with salt and cover with onions. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat from baking pan; reserve and chill broth. Refrigerate meat until firm. Cut into thin slices. Place in a 13x9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine broth with remaining ingredients except rolls. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Pour over meat. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Reheat, covered, at 325° for 1 hour. Serve on hard rolls.
Originally published as Italian Beef Sandwiches in Country Extra September 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips