Grilled Cheese & Pepper Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 4 slices rye bread with caraway seeds
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion and peppers until tender. Divide between 2 bread slices. Top with cheese and remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- In a large skillet, toast sandwiches over medium heat until golden brown and cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes per side.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 470 calories, 28g fat (13g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 17g protein.
Apr 14, 2018
Used red, orange and yellow peppers and omitted the green, bermuda onion and marbled rye/pumpernickel bread. So good! Will definitely be making them again.
May 7, 2015
This was a great, easy meal. I added ham and a few pieces of pepperoni, omitted the jalapeno and used pepper jack cheese instead. 'Pretty near excellent', as my husband said.
Dec 9, 2010
This was so good! I used cheese and jalapeno bread from the bakery at our local grocery store and it was amazing! I'm surprised it doesn't have many reviews :-)