Bread and Butter Pickles
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Process: 15 min.
- 4 pounds cucumbers, sliced
- 8 small onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup canning salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large container, combine the cucumbers, onions and salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain; rinse and drain again.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add cucumber mixture; return to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 35 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Nov 21, 2019
Made as is for the first time. My husband, MIL, and neighbors LOVE them. Will make again and add more onion. I saved leftover brine and made more pickles as my garden provided cukes.
Aug 23, 2019
8 lbs cucumbers, 3 softball size Walla Walla sweets and produced 10 pints. Thinking 4 onions next year. Have used this recipe for a few years, 5 star.
Jul 12, 2019
For 7 pints I used 8lbs cucumbers and 4 fist size onions
Jul 2, 2019
This is the same recipe that I use and that my mother has used for years. The pickles always turn out perfectly! The only difference is that my mom's copy calls for 1 gallon of sliced cucumbers instead of a weight measurement. When you use 1 gallon, the yield will consistently be 7 pints. Hope that helps.
Jun 30, 2019
I made these for the first time. One question when will they be ready to eat.
Jul 30, 2016
First time making these. Will be making another batch soon yum!
Nov 3, 2015
Jul 21, 2014
Smell wonderful, taste good now, will get better. I used less sugar, equal amount of vinegar and sugar.
Jun 29, 2014
we loved the recipe and will make again. The only thing was way to much juice.
Sep 3, 2013
As if these don't already go too quickly...use them with ring bologna run them through a grinder together..mix with mayo and you will have the worlds best sandwich spread! Way better than deli type!