Bread and Butter Pickles
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Process: 15 min.
- 4 pounds cucumbers, sliced
- 8 small onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup canning salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large container, combine the cucumbers, onions and salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain; rinse and drain again.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add cucumber mixture; return to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 159 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2025mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 30, 2016
First time making these. Will be making another batch soon yum!
Nov 3, 2015
Jul 21, 2014
Smell wonderful, taste good now, will get better. I used less sugar, equal amount of vinegar and sugar.
Jun 29, 2014
we loved the recipe and will make again. The only thing was way to much juice.
Sep 3, 2013
As if these don't already go too quickly...use them with ring bologna run them through a grinder together..mix with mayo and you will have the worlds best sandwich spread! Way better than deli type!
Aug 25, 2013
These are my husbands favorites. Just enough sweet to go with the sour!
Aug 22, 2012
Ive made this recipe twice now and the pickles go faster than I can keep up! I didn't have a problem withit being to salty. I just rinsed them real good a couple times.
Jul 19, 2012
These pickles went so fast last year, my husband asked me to triple the batch this year! Very good recipe.
Jun 27, 2012
I agree with the other poster about adding more cucumbers. I weighed the cucumbers according to this recipe and only ended up with 5 pints and lots of liquid left over. (I cut up a couple of cucumbers, covered them with the liquid, and placed in the refrigerator to snack on.) Other than the fact that I didn't get 7 pints, I thought the recipe was wonderful and would make again!
Oct 18, 2011
I add banana peppers. Also if I have an abundace of zucchini and yellow summer squash I will use those in place of the cucumbers.