- 2 pounds firm fresh zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Combine zucchini and onions in a large bowl; sprinkle with canning salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours; rinse and drain.
- In a large saucepan, bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Pour over zucchini and onions; cover and let stand 2 hours.
- Transfer to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Carefully ladle hot mixture into 4 hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars in canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Crunchy Zucchini Pickle Tips
How long do these crunchy zucchini pickles last?An unopened jar of pickled zucchini typically lasts for up to a year. After opening a jar, store it in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Why are my zucchini pickles not crisp?There can be a few reasons why your zucchini pickles are not crisp. To increase the crispness of your zucchini pickles, start with firm zucchini. Choosing large zucchini helps, too. Also, always make sure that each slice is fully submerged in the brine. After you can your zucchini pickles, store them in a cool, dry place for optimal crispness. Finally, avoid making any of these pickling mistakes!
What should I do with my zucchini pickles?Zucchini pickles are a great topping for burgers, pulled pork sandwiches and BLTs. You can also chop up zucchini pickles and add them to potato or egg salad. Finally, serve them alongside other pickled recipes for a vinegary, crunchy snack!
Research contributed by Peggy Woodward, Taste of Home Senior Food Editor
1/4 cup: 111 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1772mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.