Grilled Cheese and Avocado Sandwich
Who doesn’t love a grilled cheese sandwich? This version kicks it up a notch with avocado, tons of cheese and extra-crispy bread. —Josh Rink, Taste of Home Food Stylist
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded Manchego or Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and sliced
- 2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white Kerrygold cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Spread 3 tablespoons butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place bread, butter side down, in a large cast-iron skillet or on an electric griddle over medium-low heat until golden brown, 2-3 minutes; remove. In a small bowl, combine cheddar, Monterey Jack and Gruyere. In another bowl, mix together remaining 3 tablespoons butter, mayonnaise, Manchego cheese and onion powder.
- To assemble sandwiches, top toasted side of 4 bread slices with sliced Brie; add avocado slices. Sprinkle cheddar cheese mixture evenly over avocado slices. Top with remaining bread slices, toasted side facing inward. Spread the butter-mayonnaise mixture on the outsides of each sandwich. Place in same skillet and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, 5-6 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.