Grilled Cheese and Avocado Sandwich
Who doesn’t love a grilled cheese sandwich? This version kicks it up a notch with avocado, tons of cheese and extra-crispy bread. —Josh Rink, Taste of Home Food Stylist
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded Manchego or Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and sliced
- 2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Spread 3 tablespoons butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place bread, butter side down, in a large skillet or electric griddle over medium-low heat until golden brown, 2-3 minutes; remove. In a small bowl, combine cheddar, Monterey Jack and Gruyere. In another bowl, mix together remaining 3 tablespoons butter, mayonnaise, Manchego cheese and onion powder.
- To assemble sandwiches, top toasted side of 4 bread slices with sliced brie; add avocado slices. Sprinkle cheddar cheese mixture evenly over avocado slices. Top with remaining bread slices, toasted side facing inwards. Spread the butter-mayonnaise mixture on the outsides of each sandwich. Place in same skillet and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, 5-6 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 773 calories, 60g fat (28g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 1023mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as The Best Ever Grilled Cheese Sandwich in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.