The Best Ever Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Spreading a mixture of mayo & butter on the bread creates a delightfully crispy crust with the well-loved, wonderful flavor of butter one expects on a grilled cheese sandwich.—Josh Rink, Taste of Home Food Stylist
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded Manchego or Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and sliced
- Spread 3 tablespoons butter on one side of bread slices. Toast bread, butter side down, in a large skillet or electric griddle over medium-low heat until golden brown, 2-3 minutes; remove. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, Manchego cheese, onion powder and remaining 3 tablespoons butter. In another bowl, combine cheddar, Monterey Jack and Gruyere.
- To assemble sandwiches, top toasted side of four bread slices with sliced Brie. Sprinkle cheddar cheese mixture evenly over Brie. Top with remaining bread slices, toasted side facing inward. Spread mayonnaise mixture on the outsides of each sandwich. Place in same skillet and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, 5-6 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 659 calories, 49g fat (27g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 1017mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as The Best Ever Grilled Cheese Sandwich in Taste of Home September/October 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.