The Best Ever Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded Manchego or Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and sliced
- Spread 3 tablespoons butter on 1 side of bread slices. Toast bread, butter side down, in a large skillet or electric griddle over medium-low heat until golden brown, 2-3 minutes; remove. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, Manchego cheese, onion powder and remaining 3 tablespoons butter. In another bowl, combine cheddar, Monterey Jack and Gruyere.
- To assemble sandwiches, top toasted side of 4 bread slices with sliced Brie. Sprinkle cheddar cheese mixture evenly over Brie. Top with remaining bread slices, toasted side facing inward. Spread mayonnaise mixture on the outsides of each sandwich. Place in same skillet and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, 5-6 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 659 calories, 49g fat (27g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 1017mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Apr 15, 2019
whats the point of frying starch coated chicken ( ideally left cripsy and dry = hence the coating) only to wet it in soup and then deskin it and for shredding. lol amateurs
Mar 26, 2019
I really liked the parmesan/mayo mixture for the outside, and I liked the process of grilling the inside of the sandwich before building it, but I didn't care of the mixture of cheeses for the inside. I have used this recipe several different times, but tried different cheeses for the inside. Most recently, I used some Velveeta, which was excellent.
Dec 28, 2018
This recipe lived up to it's name. Best Ever! This was my first time using Manchego cheese. The five cheeses in this sandwich melted together beautifully. Pair this with The Best Ever Tomato Soup and you have yourself comfort food to the max!
Dec 10, 2018
I wasn't sure what to expect with putting mayonnaise on the outside of the sandwich, but it was a perfect golden crust. These have a great "ooze factor"! We also tried the tip with adding some bacon jam and that was a huge hit.
Oct 3, 2018
If it has pepperoni my son will travel miles for it. I left off the Brie and added thin slices of pepperoni. Sure enough, he showed up for supper.
Sep 27, 2018
Sep 27, 2018
These sandwiches are delicious full of gooey and crunchy bursts of flavor. I made a few changes. I omitted 3 tablespoons of butter and used 3 extra tablespoons of mayonnaise. I used 1 teaspoon of onion powder...1/8th teaspoon for the outside and the remaining for the spread. I substituted Emmentaler Swiss cheese, which is cousin to Gruyere but half the price. I used both Parmesan and Manchego. I used the Parmesan in the mayonnaise mixture for toasting the outside of the bread. I cubed and pulsed together the other 5 cheeses, binded them with 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise, and spread that onto the inside toasted bread. To me that made assembling the sandwiches easier and less messy. The sourdough is the perfect bread for these sandwiches. A keeper!!!